Skip to main content

Past Mayors of Newberg

A list of the past mayors of Newberg, Oregon from its founding to present day. 


1. Morris, Francis A.

April 8, 1889- 1890

2. Williams, George W.

1891

3. McConnel, G. W.

1892 - 93

4. Votaw, Moses

1894

5. Emrey, Omar C.

1895 - 96

6. Littlefield, H. J.

1897 - 98

7. Headley, J. G.

1899 - 1900

8. Edwards, C. J.

1901 ~ Resigned July 1901

9. Parker, L. M.

1901

10. Christenson, N. C.

1902

11. Littlefield, H. J.

1903

12. Parker, L. M.

1904

13. Edwards, C. J.

1905

14. Pinney,

1906 ~ Resigned May 1906

15. Morris, H. R.

1906

16. Edwards, C. J.

1907

17. Harrold,

1908

18. Edwards, C. J.

1909

19. Christenson, N. C.

1910 - 1911

20. Gordon, J. D.

1912 - 1913

21. Colcord,

1914 - 1915

22. Edwards, C. J.

1916

23. Larkin, George

1917 - 1920

24. Calkins, S. M.

1921 - 1922 ~ Resigned August 1922

25. Moore,

1922

26. Ellis, E. A.

1923 - 1924

27. Dixon, H. C.

1925 - 1928

28. Groth, B. J.

1929 - 1932

29. Rogers, W. G. (William Grover)

1933 - 1934

30. Groth, B. J.

1935 - 1938

31. Layman, George

1939 - 1942 ~ Resigned 1942

32. Hutchins, R. N.

1942 - 1944

33. Colcord, F. C.

1945 - 1948

34. Hester, Homer

1949 - 1952

35. Layman, George

1953 - 1956

36. Hester, Homer

1957 - 1960

37. Curtis, Roy M.

1961 - 1966

38. Belanger, Durell

1967 - 1970

39. Nulsen, Jack

1971 - 1976

40. Hall, Elvern

1977 - 1992

41. Proctor, Donna

1993 - 1998

42. Cox, Charles

1999 - 2002

43. Stewart, Bob

2003 - 2006

44. Andrews, Bob

2007- 2018

45. Rogers, Rick

2019- Present

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapters or the Morris, Miles, and Company Building

The Morris, Miles and Co. building, erected in 1891, was the first commercial brick building in Newberg. At that time, Newberg had been an officially incorporated town for only two years. In this year, the fledgling Pacific Friends Academy added their college arm (later named George Fox University).Several businesses existed in the downtown and the Quaker settlement that had begun to take root was begining to flourish. The Morris, Miles and Co. drygoods and groceries business struggled financially and changed ownership several times thru the early 1900s. They sold a variety of materials, advertising their products in the Newberg Graphic. After Moris, Miles, and Co closed, Larkin-Prince managed a hardware store there for at least ten years thru the 1910s. Parker Hardware followed in the 1920s. There were times when the building was vacant and other times when it was divided into two separate stores. Then in 1944, Rolla Renne left his position as Superintendent of Newberg School

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Four

By Barbara Doyle This is part four of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! Installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Three Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part 4 - A New Building The 1932-33 school year began just like the previous one – short on cash,  struggling financially in the Great Depression.  But the long view was more promising. In early 1933, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected president and his new Democratic government promised financial help. Newberg went for a $50,000 project – a new grade school – with residents taking on $35,000 bonded indebtedness and the federal government providing a $15,000 grant. The least costly plan was to build right on the existing site. The project moved forward – slowly. Thursday, January 24, 1935 was the last day of classes in the old school that

The Newberg Friendly Club

By Rachel Thomas A mysterious box full of letters was recently donated to the Newberg Area Historical Society. Upon opening, we discovered that it was the correspondence of an organization called the "Friendly Club." With such a name, we at first assumed it must be part of the local Friends Church, but to our surprise, it was actually a separate organization, unrelated to the Quakers. The Friendly Club, which ran from 1919-1960's, was a women's social club devoted to building strong friendships and building community among the women of Newberg. While engaging in charitable work.  Their club poem, below, showed their values and interests: Friendly Club, by Phoebe Damewood Hill          F-      Is for friendly, a magic word                     It's golden chains your heart will gird.          R-     Is for royal, the banner we bear                     Willing each other's problems to share.          I-        Is for ideals, for which we stand                   

Evangeline Martin and Amanda Woodward

Author: Rachel Thomas In 1910, Newbergers became familiar with the sounds of a horse and buggy clip clopping down the streets, stopping at each home and business. In the  buggy, pulled by a faithful horse named Kit, sat Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin.  Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin in buggy , courtesy of the George Fox University Archives. Amanda Woodward was married to Ezra Woodward, the editor of the Newberg Graphic. The couple owned the paper, and lived in a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian on River street (now the Health and Counseling center at George Fox University). The couple moved to Oregon in 1880 in response to William Hobson's call to form a Quaker community in the valley. They were devoted supporters of the community and were active participants in Newberg social movements. Ezra Woodward was on the board of trustees for Pacific College ( George Fox University ), and their two children, Sibyl and Walter attended the college.  Evangeline Martin w

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Three

By Barbara Doyle This is part three of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! This and future installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Four Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part Three – Good Times to Hard Times The new building had space for the principal’s office, a library and high school grades 9-11. The large basement could be used for recess time activities. The furnace wasn’t capable of heating sixteen rooms and long hallways; it was replaced. But some first and second graders still had classes in three separate rooms at the Creamery. Newberg experienced tremendous growth in the first decade of the 20th century. Perhaps the newcomers brought new ideas – high school, library, City Hall, bridge across the Willamette River, commuter train service to Portland. The three buildings were constructed