Skip to main content

The Precedent for Unprecedented Times: The Spanish Flu in Newberg 1918-1919

by Rachel Thomas

Note: Clippings in this article are from the Newberg Graphic which can be accessed through the University of Oregon Historic Oregon Newspapers project

Newberg Graphic, October 17, 1918.

In the winter of 1918-1919 an epidemic swept the globe. The Spanish Influenza as it was called, arrived in the last few months of World War I. In Newberg, schools were closed, public gatherings were cancelled, and many fell ill.

Newberg Graphic, January 9, 1919.

Spain protested the moniker "Spanish Flu" - it was not theirs! News from London, New York, and other major cities spoke of a major epidemic. The Newberg Graphic published articles answering questions on symptoms of influenza, how to care for oneself, and the importance of avoiding gatherings. Outdoor exercise was recommended.

Newberg Graphic, October 17, 1918.
Newberg Graphic, October 10, 1918
Advice given to railroad employees.

Newberg Graphic, January 30, 1919

As the disease spread schools and businesses were closed. Events were canceled. The community settled down to avoid spreading the disease. George Fox University, then known as Pacific College, closed it's doors for much of the semester.
Newberg Graphic, October 31, 1918 
Newberg Graphic, December 19, 1918
Newberg Graphic, November 7, 1918

Local businesses felt the economic hit of the epidemic quickly. They were forced to close their doors, cancel events, and offer huge sales to make ends meet.
Newberg Graphic, October 31, 1918
Newberg Graphic, November 7, 1918

Newberg Graphic, November 21, 1918
Many in the community fell ill, some passed away, and the city came together to mourn the loss of their family, friends, and neighbors.

Newberg Graphic, December 19, 1918
Newberg Graphic, October 24, 1918

Newberg Graphic, October 24, 1918
Newberg Graphic, October 24, 1918

Newberg Graphic, October 31, 1918

Many attempted to deal with the stress of the situation through humor. Makeshift personal protective equipment was designed. Families quarantined themselves away from one another. Families grew tired of being in close quarters. Parents complained of noisy children.

Newberg Graphic, February 20, 1919

Slowly though, the community began to recover. The epidemic slowed, the sick recovered, families returned to work, schools began to reopen.

Newberg Graphic, February 20, 1919
 Businesses resumed their work. Some were changed by the disaster.

Newberg Graphic, February 6, 1919
Over the next year, theories on the disease emerged. Some blamed the Spanish influenza on the poison gasses used in World War I. 

Newberg Graphic, January 8, 1920
The pandemic of 1918-1919 hit Newberg hard. The community struggled, many died, schools and businesses suffered. 


Newberg recovered. The town came back to life after the difficult time. Businesses resumed their operations. Over the next couple of decades, the downtown grew and thrived. Bound together, the community in Newberg saw the needs of their neighbors. They worked together to heal and support through this crisis. A spirit of generosity and love kept the community afloat. 

This spirit continues today...

Read this article by KGW. 
From the George Fox University Facebook page, accessed April 2, 2020.

Note: The above screen captures are from the Newberg Community Discussions Facebook page.


Popular posts from this blog

Chapters or the Morris, Miles, and Company Building

The Morris, Miles and Co. building, erected in 1891, was the first commercial brick building in Newberg. At that time, Newberg had been an officially incorporated town for only two years. In this year, the fledgling Pacific Friends Academy added their college arm (later named George Fox University).Several businesses existed in the downtown and the Quaker settlement that had begun to take root was begining to flourish. The Morris, Miles and Co. drygoods and groceries business struggled financially and changed ownership several times thru the early 1900s. They sold a variety of materials, advertising their products in the Newberg Graphic. After Moris, Miles, and Co closed, Larkin-Prince managed a hardware store there for at least ten years thru the 1910s. Parker Hardware followed in the 1920s. There were times when the building was vacant and other times when it was divided into two separate stores. Then in 1944, Rolla Renne left his position as Superintendent of Newberg School

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Four

By Barbara Doyle This is part four of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! Installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Three Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part 4 - A New Building The 1932-33 school year began just like the previous one – short on cash,  struggling financially in the Great Depression.  But the long view was more promising. In early 1933, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected president and his new Democratic government promised financial help. Newberg went for a $50,000 project – a new grade school – with residents taking on $35,000 bonded indebtedness and the federal government providing a $15,000 grant. The least costly plan was to build right on the existing site. The project moved forward – slowly. Thursday, January 24, 1935 was the last day of classes in the old school that

The Newberg Friendly Club

By Rachel Thomas A mysterious box full of letters was recently donated to the Newberg Area Historical Society. Upon opening, we discovered that it was the correspondence of an organization called the "Friendly Club." With such a name, we at first assumed it must be part of the local Friends Church, but to our surprise, it was actually a separate organization, unrelated to the Quakers. The Friendly Club, which ran from 1919-1960's, was a women's social club devoted to building strong friendships and building community among the women of Newberg. While engaging in charitable work.  Their club poem, below, showed their values and interests: Friendly Club, by Phoebe Damewood Hill          F-      Is for friendly, a magic word                     It's golden chains your heart will gird.          R-     Is for royal, the banner we bear                     Willing each other's problems to share.          I-        Is for ideals, for which we stand                   

Evangeline Martin and Amanda Woodward

Author: Rachel Thomas In 1910, Newbergers became familiar with the sounds of a horse and buggy clip clopping down the streets, stopping at each home and business. In the  buggy, pulled by a faithful horse named Kit, sat Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin.  Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin in buggy , courtesy of the George Fox University Archives. Amanda Woodward was married to Ezra Woodward, the editor of the Newberg Graphic. The couple owned the paper, and lived in a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian on River street (now the Health and Counseling center at George Fox University). The couple moved to Oregon in 1880 in response to William Hobson's call to form a Quaker community in the valley. They were devoted supporters of the community and were active participants in Newberg social movements. Ezra Woodward was on the board of trustees for Pacific College ( George Fox University ), and their two children, Sibyl and Walter attended the college.  Evangeline Martin w

Past Mayors of Newberg

A list of the past mayors of Newberg, Oregon from its founding to present day.  1. Morris, Francis A. April 8, 1889- 1890 2. Williams, George W. 1891 3. McConnel, G. W. 1892 - 93 4. Votaw, Moses 1894 5. Emrey, Omar C. 1895 - 96 6. Littlefield, H. J. 1897 - 98 7. Headley, J. G. 1899 - 1900 8. Edwards, C. J. 1901 ~ Resigned July 1901 9. Parker, L. M. 1901 10. Christenson, N. C. 1902 11. Littlefield, H. J. 1903 12. Parker, L. M. 1904 13. Edwards, C. J. 1905 14. Pinney, 1906 ~ Resigned May 1906 15. Morris, H. R. 1906 16. Edwards, C. J. 1907 17. Harrold, 1908 18. Edw

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Three

By Barbara Doyle This is part three of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! This and future installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Four Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part Three – Good Times to Hard Times The new building had space for the principal’s office, a library and high school grades 9-11. The large basement could be used for recess time activities. The furnace wasn’t capable of heating sixteen rooms and long hallways; it was replaced. But some first and second graders still had classes in three separate rooms at the Creamery. Newberg experienced tremendous growth in the first decade of the 20th century. Perhaps the newcomers brought new ideas – high school, library, City Hall, bridge across the Willamette River, commuter train service to Portland. The three buildings were constructed