Skip to main content

Ewing Young Bibliography

 This is a list of references we have compiled for those interested in learning more about Ewing Young.


Beckham, Stephen Dow; The Indians of Western Oregon, This Land was. Theirs, Aarago Books, 1977. 

Clarke, S.A.; Pioneer Days of Oregon History, Vol 1, J.K. Gill, Portland, 1905. 

Clark, Malcolm; The Eden Seekers, Houghton Mifflin, 1987, p.95. 

Edwards, P.L; Sketch of the Oregon Territory. Liberty, Missouri Herald Office, 1842 p.19. 

Mackey, Harold; Indians of the Willamette Valley, Monmouth OR. 1968. 

Gibbs-Starling Map of 1851, "Sketch of Wallamette Valley showing purchases and reservations made by the board of commissioners appointed to treat with the Indians of Oregon." 

Galschet, Albert S.; The Kalapuya People, 1899. 


Atherton, John H; * Excavations at Champoeg, Oregon", 1974 Mimeographed report from archeological investigations in 1974. Brauner, Dr. David; Presentation on tape presented at Champoeg Park, 1992.

Dobbs, Caroline; Men of Champoeg, Metropolitan Press, Portland, 1932. 

Hussey, J.A.; Champoeg. Place of Transition, Oregon Historical Society, 1967. 

Munnick, Harriet; "The Prairie that Slacum Saw" Marion County Historical Society, Vol.9, p. 25-32 , map p. 26. 

Speulda, LouAnn; "Champoeg, A Perspective of a Frontier Community 1830-1861" Anthropology Northwest#3, Department of Anthropology, OSU, Corvallis, 1988. 

Holmes, Kenneth L.; Ewing Young, Master Trapper, Bintords and Mort, Portland Oregon, 1967.

Dillon, Richard;- The Siskiyou Trail McGraw Hill, 1975.

Powell, Fred W. editor, Hall J. Kelley on Oregon, Princeton University Press, 1932. 

Larkin Thomas O., "Letter to Abiel Stearns, Aug 5. 1834," Bancroft Library, Vallejo Collection, V. 31 pt.2 doc113 383-386.

Victor, Frances Fuller; "Hall J. Kelley" Oregon Historical Quarterly Vol 2, pp. 386-393. 


Bancroft, Hubert Howe; History of Oregon, Volume I, 1834-1848. 

Boag, Peter G; Environment and Experience. Settlement Culture in 19th Century Oregon , University of California, 1984. 

Carey, Charles Henry; History of Oregon, Vol. 1, Pioneer Historical Publishing Co., 1922. 

Chapman, Charles H; The Story of Oregon and it's People, Chicago, O.P. Barnes, 1909.

Clarke, S.A; Pioneer Days of Oregon History, Vol 1, Portland, Oregon. J.K. Gill, 1905.

Clark, Malcom H. Jr.; Research papers for Eden Seekers, Oregon Historical Society Mss. 2031, Box 1, 4, 5. 

Hines, Gustavus; Wild Life in Oregon, Hurst and Co., New York, 1881 pp.410-427.

Lyman, Horace S.; History of Oregon. The Growth of an American State, North Pacific Publishing Co. NY, 1903. 

Thwaites, Reuben Gold LLD; _Early Western Travels 1748-1846, Arthur H. Clark. Cleveland, Ohio, 1907.

Wilkes, Charles, Narrative of the United States Exploring Expeditions.


Fogdall, Alberta Brooks; Royal Family of the Columbia, Binford and Mort, 1984.

Montgomery, Richard G; The White Headed Eagle, Macmillan, 1935.

Rich, E.E. , editor, The Letters of John McLoughlin from Fort Vancouver, London: HBRS, 1941 p. 127 (Ewing Young, B.223/b/10,10.31)

Gov. Jose Figueroa to John McLoughlin for Mission Santa Clara, September 9, 1834. Letter declaring Ewing Young a horse-thief. 

Hudson's Bay Co Provincial Archives; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. 

Documents referring to Ewing Young dated from 1837 to 1840. Arch.B. 223/6/17. to. 36; Arc.B223/b/24/ fo. 20d., Arch. B.223/b/24, fo. 49d.; Arch. B.223/b/24, fo.54d.; Arch. B.223/b/27, fo. 8d.;Arch. B.223/b/27, fo. 25d.; Arch. B.223/6/27, fo.35d; Arch. B.223/b/27, fo. 43d.; Arch. B.223/6/27, fo. 46; Arch. B.223/b/27, fos. 460.-47; Arch. B/223/b/27, fo.64-64d.; 


Allen, Miss A.J; Ten Years in Oregon, 1848. 

Chapman , The Story of Oregon, 1909.

Clark, Malcom Jr.; The Eden Seekers, Houghton Mifflin, 1981.

Lowenberg, Robert J; Equality on the Oregon Frontier Jason Lee and the Methodist Mission, University of Washington Press, Seattle Washington, 1976.


Lee, Daniel; Ten Years in Oregon, New York, 1844.

Lyman, Horace S.; History of Oregon. The Growth of an American State, North Pacific Publishing Co. NY, 1903. , Vol 3, pp174-180.

"Methodist Mission Papers" Mss. 1224, Oregon Historical Society. 

WILLAMETTE CATTLE COMPANY Bancroft, Hubert Howe; Bancroft History of Oregon, Vol 1, 1834-1848, Bancroft Library, pp. 139-153.

Cleland, Robert Glass; This Reckless Breed of Men, Knopf, N.Y. 1963.

Dobbs, Carolyn C. Men of Champoeg, Metropolitan Press, Portland, 1932. 

*Willamette Cattle Company agreement", original copy, Oregon State Archives doc.406, pre-territorial documents. 

Original documents, Oregon Historical Society Mss. 500 

"Original Receipts for Cattle 

Bancroft Library, Vallejo Collection IV#244 

(in Spanish) 

Edwards, Philip Leget; Diary of Cattle Drive from California 1837. 

Clarke, S.A.; Pioneer Days of Oregon History, J.K.Gill, Portland, 1909, Vol 1, pp146-153. 

"Letter from P.L. Edwards from Loriot" Christian Advocate and Journal, June 9, 1937, p.166. 

"Ewing. Young to His Excellency Gov. of the State of Upper California' San Francisco, March 10, 1837. Bancroft Library, Vallejo Collection, F7 30. Letter requesting permission to purchase cattle for Willamette Cattle Co. (signed, " am your Excellency's Hmble & Obdent Servt, Ewing Young).


Allen, Miss A J; Ten Years in Oregon Travels and Adventures of Dr. Elijah White and Lady, Mac, Andrus, and Co. New York, 1848. 

"Negro Pioneers, Their Page in Oregon History" Oregon Native Son V.1 Jan. 1990, p.432-434.

White, Elijah; A Consise View of Oregon, Washington D.C.., 1846 p. 32-33.

"Chief Factor John McLoughlin to George Pelly, Sandwich Islands, dated Fort Vancouver, 11 November 1839" Hudson's Bay Company Archives. B.223/b/24, do.54d.


Farnham, Thomas J.; Travels on the Great Western Prairie. Rocky Mountains, Etc. 1843 pp. 95, 176-177.

Hussey,J.A.; Champoeg. Place of Transition, Oregon Historical Society, 1967 pp8, 67-68.

Lyman, Horace S.; History of Oregon. The Growth of an American State, North Pacific Publishing Co. NY, 1903. 

Wilkes, Charles, Narratives of the U.S. Exploring Expedition, Philadelphia, 1845, Vol.IV pp 358-360.

Slacum, William; "Report to 25th Congress, 2nd Session" 1838, Document 470 , Huntington Library 58909-24. 


*Articles of Agreement entered into by Ewing Young and P.L. Edwards, as agents for themselves and Wm.Slacum, Daniel Lee and Cyrus Shepard" March 24, 1838 Oregon State Archives, Pre-territorial manuscript 12195.

Original "Registaer" Accounts Book, Oregon Historical Society Mss.499B.

Original "Daybook" records are in the Oregon State Archives. Copies of pages are in microfiche at the Archives, as well. 

Calbraeth, Helen; Original document, Oregon Historical Society, Mss.1027.

Young, Frederick G; "Ewing Young and His Estate" Oregon Historical Quarterly XXI Sept. 1920.

"Depositions in the case: Joaqauin Young vs. Territory of Oregon" Bancroft Library Original documents P.A. 317 pp.8,9,10, 12,13, 14, 16, 18 Contain testimonies of Barbara Slover, John Rowland, and Raphael Sanches.

Clark, Malcom; The Eden Seekers, Houghton Mifflin, 1981 P282.


Popular posts from this blog

Chapters or the Morris, Miles, and Company Building

The Morris, Miles and Co. building, erected in 1891, was the first commercial brick building in Newberg. At that time, Newberg had been an officially incorporated town for only two years. In this year, the fledgling Pacific Friends Academy added their college arm (later named George Fox University).Several businesses existed in the downtown and the Quaker settlement that had begun to take root was begining to flourish. The Morris, Miles and Co. drygoods and groceries business struggled financially and changed ownership several times thru the early 1900s. They sold a variety of materials, advertising their products in the Newberg Graphic. After Moris, Miles, and Co closed, Larkin-Prince managed a hardware store there for at least ten years thru the 1910s. Parker Hardware followed in the 1920s. There were times when the building was vacant and other times when it was divided into two separate stores. Then in 1944, Rolla Renne left his position as Superintendent of Newberg School

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Four

By Barbara Doyle This is part four of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! Installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Three Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part 4 - A New Building The 1932-33 school year began just like the previous one – short on cash,  struggling financially in the Great Depression.  But the long view was more promising. In early 1933, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected president and his new Democratic government promised financial help. Newberg went for a $50,000 project – a new grade school – with residents taking on $35,000 bonded indebtedness and the federal government providing a $15,000 grant. The least costly plan was to build right on the existing site. The project moved forward – slowly. Thursday, January 24, 1935 was the last day of classes in the old school that

The Newberg Friendly Club

By Rachel Thomas A mysterious box full of letters was recently donated to the Newberg Area Historical Society. Upon opening, we discovered that it was the correspondence of an organization called the "Friendly Club." With such a name, we at first assumed it must be part of the local Friends Church, but to our surprise, it was actually a separate organization, unrelated to the Quakers. The Friendly Club, which ran from 1919-1960's, was a women's social club devoted to building strong friendships and building community among the women of Newberg. While engaging in charitable work.  Their club poem, below, showed their values and interests: Friendly Club, by Phoebe Damewood Hill          F-      Is for friendly, a magic word                     It's golden chains your heart will gird.          R-     Is for royal, the banner we bear                     Willing each other's problems to share.          I-        Is for ideals, for which we stand                   

Evangeline Martin and Amanda Woodward

Author: Rachel Thomas In 1910, Newbergers became familiar with the sounds of a horse and buggy clip clopping down the streets, stopping at each home and business. In the  buggy, pulled by a faithful horse named Kit, sat Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin.  Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin in buggy , courtesy of the George Fox University Archives. Amanda Woodward was married to Ezra Woodward, the editor of the Newberg Graphic. The couple owned the paper, and lived in a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian on River street (now the Health and Counseling center at George Fox University). The couple moved to Oregon in 1880 in response to William Hobson's call to form a Quaker community in the valley. They were devoted supporters of the community and were active participants in Newberg social movements. Ezra Woodward was on the board of trustees for Pacific College ( George Fox University ), and their two children, Sibyl and Walter attended the college.  Evangeline Martin w

Past Mayors of Newberg

A list of the past mayors of Newberg, Oregon from its founding to present day.  1. Morris, Francis A. April 8, 1889- 1890 2. Williams, George W. 1891 3. McConnel, G. W. 1892 - 93 4. Votaw, Moses 1894 5. Emrey, Omar C. 1895 - 96 6. Littlefield, H. J. 1897 - 98 7. Headley, J. G. 1899 - 1900 8. Edwards, C. J. 1901 ~ Resigned July 1901 9. Parker, L. M. 1901 10. Christenson, N. C. 1902 11. Littlefield, H. J. 1903 12. Parker, L. M. 1904 13. Edwards, C. J. 1905 14. Pinney, 1906 ~ Resigned May 1906 15. Morris, H. R. 1906 16. Edwards, C. J. 1907 17. Harrold, 1908 18. Edw

Central School to Chehalem Cultural Center: Part Three

By Barbara Doyle This is part three of a multi-part series on the history of Central School, look for new installments in the weeks to come! This and future installments in this series are adapted from Barbara Doyle's book on this topic: From Then 'till Now: Schooling in Newberg, Oregon. Part One Part Two Part Four Part Five Part Six Part Seven Part Three – Good Times to Hard Times The new building had space for the principal’s office, a library and high school grades 9-11. The large basement could be used for recess time activities. The furnace wasn’t capable of heating sixteen rooms and long hallways; it was replaced. But some first and second graders still had classes in three separate rooms at the Creamery. Newberg experienced tremendous growth in the first decade of the 20th century. Perhaps the newcomers brought new ideas – high school, library, City Hall, bridge across the Willamette River, commuter train service to Portland. The three buildings were constructed